Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Holy or Happy...do we have to choose?

I find myself needing to draw straws when it comes to what to write next. My mind spins with topics, ideas and opinions…all ripe for sharing. Perhaps the wisdom is not so much in sharing what I believe about a specific topic, but that I share what I have learned from it?

A friend of mine and I were chatting last night. As we talked we stumbled onto the subject of the trials and hardships we are currently facing and what it means to find "joy" in the midst of trials. We talked a bit about the subject of “happiness” and what it might mean in the grand scheme of things…and then I remembered what my pastor said on more than one occasion. “The Lord is more concerned with our HOLINESS than our HAPPINESS”. It really doesn’t get any clearer than that!

We are all faced with trials, difficulties, and hardships. Almost without exception, the aforementioned comes at us with little notice, if any at all! I can no longer count on my hands and feet the number of times I have been blindsided by trials and difficulties that I never saw coming. Yet, I cannot help but consider that If all that I endure is meant to bring me to a closer, holier, and purer walk with Him, then why not just draw near to Him and abide in Him BEFORE the "trials that teach” find me!? My experiences tells me that I am happiest when I am holiest-as I abide in Christ.

I am so grateful that I have a rescuer, a savior, protector and redeemer. A mighty God that sees the simplicity and naivety of who and what I am yet finds me loveable. I am humbled and thankful that I have a hope that goes beyond my own ability to out run, outsmart or, even out last any trial. That I can run to my protector, the one who can extinguish any threat before it would consume me. My prayer is that you have found that same hope, that same heart of gratitude, and the same realization that we need not face our battles alone. We don’t go through the hardships to prove to ourselves that we are tough, capable or indestructible, rather, that God IS, and in His wisdom will use any means to draw us to Himself.

I am learning that I simply need to be in His presence. In the safety of the shelter of His covering. And that my trials always bring me to that place. I pray you wouldn't find yourself running just to run, with no direction or hope of finding a safe haven, a restful, peaceful, place. I pray you find all you need when you stop running "from" the trials, and instead run "to" Jesus.

No comments:

My Blog List