Thursday, January 1, 2009

Old is the new "Young"


Well...here we are. It's New Year's Day and I have managed to get all the way to 3:30 in the afternoon without making and breaking a New Year's Resolution. A small victory for me, and an all time record.

It's funny how over time I have learned to make resolutions that are more likely to be adhered to than in years past. I guess it comes with age, experience, and perhaps adapting to the reality that I never really take too many of my "resolutions-gone-by" seriously.

I know there were many years of "this year, 20 lbs!" Or, "this year, no sugar", *(HAH) or, "this year, I will be nicer to my siblings".

Granted some of those things are more important than others, but I have resolved to resolute to nothing. :)

Great...3:34 and I have made and broken a New Year's resolution in ONE SENTENCE!

In all honesty, I see myself more passionate about change. Resolute or not, I desire growth. I want to be the woman today that I would otherwise discover at age 71 that I had become.

Many of my clients are wise, gracious women well into their 60's and 70's and beyond. Their beauty is as much in their worn, wrinkled faces as in their wisdom and contentment for the lives they have lived. A commonality I find in most of them is their sense of peace, and their ability to assess and prioritize life.

Rarely do I see them worried about how their friends will perceive their beauty as t
he truth is (now) that they are simply glad for and cherish the friends they have. They are no longer fretting over their husband's failure to get their dropped drawers to the laundry basket as they probably once were. Rather, they are thankful for the many years of having the privilege of adding to the life a man who loved them and stood by them, through thick and thin. One who challenged them not only emotionally and mentally, but hopefully, spiritually.
These ladies have learned it is not so critical to them that they have found their sense of worth in their ability to achieve greatness in their careers as they have found value in being the family matriarch. A mother, grandmother, aunt, friend. Continuing or creating tradition for generations to come. Living their lives not only as examples but as a standard by which other's desire to emulate and measure up to.

They laugh loud, and often, simply for the purpose of laughing. Unaware of what other's may think. They dance about, and find reason to celebrate just about anything. They show a sense of pride in their homes, the sanctuary they created for their children and their children's c
hildren to come and visit.
To celebrate Christmases, birthdays, and Sunday dinners. The place that, if they are or were married, their husbands longed to come home to, and where their children proclaimed to their children "we are going to GRANDMA'S house" (and everyone cheered.)

I want to be a wise old woman today and not wait a lifetime to appreciate life for what it is (and not wait to see what it could be-or should have been).

I want to be as confident and patient, peace filled and assured of my faith in my God as a woman who had a lifetime of experiencing the peace and faithfulness of God-without having to wait "said lifetime" or endured all the trials, hardships and personal failures in order to know it.

I don't know what the future holds but honestly, I have a great peace even in knowing that I just don't know. I want to have the attitude of a 6 year old, untainted by a lifetime of regret, disappointments, battles, and surprise attacks, unaware and uncaring of what others might think. I truly believe that is the trick to it all. I think that is what the 70 year old discovers and finally just "lets go.
I want my mind to wander, I want to dream of endless possibilities without my "rational-41-year old" brain talking sense into me. I want to twirl, and laugh and hope. I want to whisper about the boy I like to my best friend. I want to draw pictures of my dream house, and the perfect puppy. I want to make decisions based on my passions and beliefs and not out of fear of what other's might think. I want to risk the 'safe route" for the adventurous one. I want my life to be an encouragement to others to live their best life. To dream big and run fast and furious after their dreams. I desire to live the exact life that God intended, and I want to do it "today".

I admit I have never felt more comfortable in my own skin. I can see how the years "make us or break us" (and sometimes...break us in order to make us). I can celebrate that. I am starting to see how those wise old women get where they are and though I am in NO hurry to add wrinkles and calcium shots, blood pressure medicine and in home health care to my life, I am open to gaining wisdom beyond my years...and I already love bingo!

Happy New Year, and may you find your inner "old lady" (man) while you are still young enough to enjoy them!

2 comments:

Corey Matelli said...

My inner old man had to go to the bathroom twice while reading your post, it was so long!

Seriously, very well said. I think your wisdom is already shining through just by virtue of what you've learned and shared. Thanks for writing this!

Lisa said...

lol...that is because your inner old man is NEARLY the same age as YOU! ;)

Thanks for sharing and being an encouragement and cheerleader :)

My Blog List